Regular Periodic Maintenance
What you should do to keep your store running well
This is a partial list of regular maintenance activities you should do on your store. You will want to to do these things between once a week and once a month, depending on how busy your store is.
- Make a database backup.
- Handle old admin activity logs - archive them first, then purge them.
- Investigate any debug logs which are present in your
/logsfolder. If you are unfamiliar with handling debug logs, read this first.
- Check to see if there is a new Zen Cart version available. If there is, schedule your upgrade to be sure you can get it done soon. It’s also a good practice to keep track of the PHP Version Support Policy so you know when the PHP version you are running is at or near end of life.
- Check your SSL certificate - they do expire and need to be renewed once a year. If there’s a glitch (like your credit card expiring), you will have the dreaded broken padlock issue.
- Use Google Chrome Inspect or PageSpeed Insights to test the performance of your site and look for problems. Many other web page speed testing tools exist; try them too.
- Optional: Run “Optimize Database” from Admin > Tools > Store Manager.
Still have questions? No problem! Just head over to the Zen Cart support forum and ask there in the appropriate subforum. In your post, please include your Zen Cart and PHP versions, and a link to your site.
Last modified September 7, 2020 by Scott C Wilson (13c8ba8).