Attributes - How do I make dropdowns start with "Please Select"
In a dropdown, you can start with an attribute value:
or you can start with a prompt like “Please Choose” or “Select a Value”:
The former requires no special steps; just add options to products as described in Attributes - adding to products.
The latter requires setting a default option value for each Option Name that will have this behavior.
- Go to Admin > Catalog > Option Value Manager
- Select the Option Name that will have this option value. In the second image, it would be “Size.”
- Create an value option value with the prompt you wish to use (e.g. “Please Select”).
- Go to Attributes Controller, and select the product you want to operate on.
- Select the option name (e.g. “Size”) and option value (e.g. “Please Select”).
- Click “Used For Display Purposes Only” = “Yes.
- Click “Default Attribute to be Marked Selected” = “Yes.
- Click the Insert button.
Note: To make this option show at the top of the list, give it a sort order less than all the other sort orders when adding it in Attributes Controller. You may use a negative number if needed.